by John Feierabend.
Conversational Solfege is a dynamic and captivating second through eighth grade general music program that enables students to become independent musical thinkers with the help of a rich variety of folk and classical music.
In this approach, music literacy for Gr. 2-8 starts with great literature and an "ear-before-eye" philosophy that correlates with the National Standards. Great songs are broken down into component parts and reassembled to meet the ultimate goal of engaged, independent musicians who can hear, understand, read, write, compose and improvise.
Central to the Conversational Solfege program is the use of music harvested from our rich and diverse American musical history. This variety of music serves as a common thread that spans and bonds generations including varied song material so the teacher can select appropriate music for the lower grades or older beginners.
This 12-step teaching method carefully brings students from readiness to, ultimately, creating music through inner hearing and then transferring their musical thoughts into notation—in other words, to compose music!
This series is a complete, innovative approach to teaching music that will stay fresh year after year.
Complete Level 1 Set
- 1. Accompaniment for rhythm chanting in 2/4 meter • Johann Sebastian Bach • Suite in g minor, Allemande
- 2. Accompaniment for rhythm chanting in 2/4 meter • Camille Saint-Saëns • Carnival of the Animals, Finale
- 3. Accompaniment for rhythm chanting 6/8 meter • Ottorino Respighi • Ancient Airs and Dances, Saltarello e Canario
- 4. Accompaniment for rhythm chanting in 6/8 meter • Johann Sebastian Bach • Suite in g minor, Prelude
Conversational Solfege Unit 1:
- 5. Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky • The Crane
- 6. Camille Saint-Saëns • Turtles from Carnival of the Animals
- 7. Jacques Offenbach • Can-Can
Conversational Solfege Unit 2:
- 8. Johann Strauss • Kaiser Waltz (excerpt)
- 9. Johann Strauss • Roses from the South (excerpt)
- 10. Ludwig van Beethoven • Symphony # 5, 3rd Movement (excerpt)
- 11. Franz Schubert • March
- 2. Maurice Ravel • Boléro Ostinato
Conversational Solfege Unit 3:
- 13. Paul Dukas • The Sorcerer’s Apprentice (excerpt)
- 14. Ferde Grofé • On the Trail from Grand Canyon Suite (excerpt)
- 15. Léo Delibes • Notturno
Conversational Solfege Unit 4:
- 16. Georges Bizet • The Carillon Ostinato from L’Arlésienne Suite
Listen to Samples:
NOTE: This is NOT the full track listing.